On February 18, 2022, the Eckington Civic Association requested that the District Department of Transportation consider implementing traffic calming measures on 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and T streets NE, including:
- concrete bulb-outs with tree boxes on 2nd Street NE and 3rd Street NE from R Street NE to Rhode Island Avenue NE;
- contraflow bike lanes on 2nd Street NE and 3rd Street NE from R Street NE to Rhode Island Avenue NE;
- speed humps on 2nd Street NE and 3rd Street NE from R Street NE to Rhode Island Avenue NE;
- all-way raised crosswalks at the three-school-adjacent intersection of 2nd and T Streets NE;
- all-way stop intersections where U Street and Seaton Place intersect with 2nd and 3rd Streets;
- sidewalk widening with installation of tree boxes on T Street NE from 2nd Street NE to the Metropolitan Branch Trail connection;
- sidewalk-adjacent bike lane and raised platform bus stops and bioretention on 2nd Street NE from T Street NE to R Street NE;
- curbside protected bike lanes on 4th street NE (in lieu of painted lanes); and
- Reducing the speed limit on all roadways in question to 20 mph.
None of the proposed changes would significantly impact parking or vehicle traffic patterns. These requests are consistent with safety improvements that DDOT first proposed in its 2014 Mid-City East Livability Study and that were requested by the ECA in 2019.
We look forward to working with DDOT on these and other safety improvements in Eckington