Jan. 10, 2022 | 7:00PM-8:30PM
How to Participate in Our Virtual Meeting
Or dial: +1-219-654-2369 PIN: 149 080 474#
Join the Civic Association: Register here (it’s free).
You can also support the civic association by making a one time or recurring donation.
ECA business — 7:00-8:00 pm
- Vote on previously discussed draft bylaw amendment to create “officer emeritus” position
- Vote to submit FY 2023 budget request to advance environmental issues in Eckington & across Ward 5, including: funds for Ward 5 sidewalk and tree box installations, development of a Ward 5 circulator, installation of continuous air monitoring in Ward 5’s industrial neighborhoods, and more resources for litter collection/removal.
- Vote on to submit letter to Ward 5 ANC redistricting committee:
- Advocating for the breakup of ANC 5E, which now has over 25,000 residents (and would be comprised of at least 13 single member districts if its boundaries remained unchanged)
- Expressing preference for Eckington to be part of a commission composed of approximately 7-8 commissioners.
- Noting that Eckington now has approximately 7,000 residents according to the recent census and that there will be at least three and a half ANC commissioners representing our neighborhood at the conclusion of redistricting.
- Advocating that to the extent possible, Eckington’s single member districts anticipate the growth of the neighborhood since the 2020 census (residents of Eckington Yards, Eckington 501, and Rhode Island Avenue development all will not figure into redistricting this cycle)
- Short updates:
- ECA to establish and award community grants in 2022
- Join our new committees:
- Outreach & liaison committee
- Eckington Day planning committee (more on this soon!)
- DC’s Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development extended the deadline for responding to its RFP for 2225 5th Street NE and 513 Rhode Island Avenue NE to February:
- DMPED and the DC Public Library have not had any conversations about this property (or, it seems, about DCPL’s need for a library location in Edgewood/Eckington by FY 2024)
- One thing the ECA will consider is whether to advocate that DMPED reissue its RFP to specifically include a library and/or permanently move the fire station to another location
- DDOT revealed that Florida Avenue and North Capitol Street are part of its near-term vision for bus priority. We anticipate working with them on this in the coming year.
Updates from the offices of elected representatives and community members — 8:00-8:30 pm
- Silas Grant, Constituent Analyst, Office of Ward 5 Councilmember Kenyan McDuffie
- Nokomis Hunter, Ward 5 Liaison, Mayor Bowser’s Office of Community Relations & Services
- Other members of the community
Upcoming Meetings & Events
- Saturday, Jan. 8: community cleanup with Eckington Parks & Arts
- Thursday, Jan. 20 at 7pm: Quarterly Eckington Parks & Arts Member/Prospective Member meeting
- Saturday, Jan. 22: community cleanup with Eckington Parks & Arts
- Monday, Feb. 14: Next ECA monthly meeting