June 13, 2022 | 7:00PM-8:30PM
How to Participate in Our Virtual Meeting
Or dial: +1-219-654-2369 PIN: 149 080 474#
ECA business — 7:00-8:00 pm
- Voting item: proposed letter to Councilmember McDuffie, Chair of the D.C. Council Committee on Business and Economic Development, seeking enhanced regulation of Go-Puff and other last-mile delivery services.
- Eckington Day is returning October 1, 2022
- Discussion of possible changes/additions this year
- Request for volunteers to assist with planning
- Second round of ECA grants to be discussed and voted on at our July meeting. We’ve received 3 requests for funding, which is great!
- Partnership with Shizuka (Zukes) Hsieh, Associate Professor of Chemistry Trinity Washington University to install air quality monitoring equipment at a private residence on 4th Street NE.
- Thanks to help from Shelley Vinyard, a member of CM McDuffie’s Ward 5 industrial land task force, we’re going to coordinate with a professor at nearby Trinity University to better understand air quality in our community. As we pointed out in a recent letter to D.C. officials, the city does not monitor ambient air quality in our part of Ward 5 even though that is where the city has chosen to concentrate most of its industrial land.
- Update on ANC Redistricting
- The boundaries proposed by the Ward 5 task force are final. Councilmember McDuffie did not support a new ANC single member district in northeast Eckington. It has been disappointing not to be able to count on our Ward councilmember’s support in confronting sources of pollution in our community–and this push was a part of that fight. Fortunately, Ward 5 will have a fresh start next year–remember to vote in the upcoming democratic primary! (View the responses to the ECA’s candidate questionnaire here!)
- Eckington and Edgewood will be part of the new seven-member ANC 5F. Eckington will be represented by four commissioners, one of whom (5F04) will represent residents in Edgewood too. Eckington’s new SMD boundaries are pictured below
- Small updates
- DDOT is looking for someone in Ward 5 to join its recreational trails advisory committee. The committee only meets twice a year, but it’s a great opportunity to get involved if you use and love DC’s trails–including the Met. Branch Trail. Please email us if you’d like to learn more about this opportunity!
- After 4 years serving as ECA President and Treasurer, respectively, Conor and Neil are going to be stepping down from those roles at the end of this year. The ECA elections in November are going to be an important opportunity to bring fresh energy to the association. Please don’t hesitate to get in touch with Conor if you’re interested in running for office this fall.
Updates from the offices of elected representatives and community members — 8:00-8:30 pm
- Silas Grant, Senior Advisor, Office of Ward 5 Councilmember Kenyan McDuffie
- Nokomis Hunter, Ward 5 Liaison, Mayor Bowser’s Office of Community Relations & Services
- Other members of the community
Upcoming Meetings & Events
- First and third Saturday of every month: community cleanup with Eckington Parks & Arts
- Monday, July 11: Next ECA monthly meeting
- The ECA will not be meeting in August
- Saturday, October 1: Eckington Day!