The ECA will be meeting on September 13, 2021 from 7:00PM to 8:30PM
How to Participate in Our Virtual Meeting
Google meet link: meet.google.com/ryy-qwco-bod
Or dial: +1-219-654-2369 PIN: 149 080 474#
ECA business — 7:00-7:30 pm
- Votes on an ABRA :
- whether to protest the liquor license application for Sewa’s Convenience Store LLC at 1633 North Capitol Street (beer and wine only; no liquor). The opposition would be based on a history of noncompliance with laws and regulations regarding the sale of alcohol and cigarettes at this location (our understanding is that the longtime property owner is seeking the new permit).
- Vote on draft ECA letter re: DDOT proposed speed limit changes to New York Avenue. The letter:
- Supports reducing limit to 25 mph between 4th Street NW & Florida Avenue NE
- Requests extension fo 25 mph zone between Florida Ave & 4th Street NE
- Requests that DDOT enhance enforcement, including by repositioning existing camera
- Short updates:
- North Capitol Street
- ECA is hosting a forum re: two visions for the future of North Capitol Street on Sept. 15
- DDOT will be studying the corridor from Mass. to Michigan. The project team is hoping to put out an RFP for the study sometime this fall in the hopes of launching it sometime in 2022. There will be opportunities for public engagement, which we will share.
- ECA will continue virtual meetings due to current COVID case rates & protocols
- ECA elections for 2022 are taking place on November 8, 2021. Please take a look at our call for candidates and contact us at email@example.com if you are interested in running for elected office.
- According to the Hill Rag, permanent supportive housing is being offered to residents of L & M street encampments in NoMa; those encampments will be removed and the underpasses cleared from September 20, 2021 forward.
- CM McDuffie is creating Ward 5 Industrial Land Task Force; Eckington to be represented, and we will share more information as it becomes available.
- North Capitol Street
Updates from the offices of elected representatives and community members — 7:30-8:00 pm
- Silas Grant, Constituent Analyst, Office of Ward 5 Councilmember Kenyan McDuffie
- Nokomis Hunter, Ward 5 Liaison, Mayor Bowser’s Office of Community Relations & Services
- Other members of the community
Eckington day planning — 8:00-8:30 pm
- See the draft schedule (subject to change)
- How you can help:
- If you or your organization would like to participate in or volunteer on Eckington Day, please sign up here. Volunteers will help set up/break down the event, guide people to activities, etc.
- Buy a T-Shirt to support our efforts!
Upcoming Meetings & Events
- Sept. 8-18: DC Walls international mural festival along Metropolitan Branch Trail & Tanner Park
- Wednesday, Sept. 15: ECA Forum on the future of North Capitol Street (Zoom link here)
- Saturday, Sept. 18: community cleanup with Eckington Parks & Arts
- September 25: Story Thyme in Tanner Park w/ Eckington Parks & Arts
- Saturday, October 2: Eckington Day
- Saturday, October 2: community cleanup with Eckington Parks & Arts
- Monday, October 11: Next ECA Meeting
- Monday, Nov. 8: ECA meeting & ECA officer elections for 2022
- Monday, Dec. 13: End-of-year celebration